What Does Eco Friendly Cleaning Mean?Green cleaning is not just a gimmick or a marketing ploy. It means using environmentally preferable products and services that have a lesser or reduced effect on human health and the environment. Green cleaning is about providing, maintaining and improving cleanliness and sustaining pollution control while protecting individuals and the environment from the risks posed by hazardous cleaning supplies and processes. Green cleaning products like Muffetta’s reduce waste, the risks to your health and of course the impact on the environment.
What is under your sink?If you look under your sink and pick up a cleaner, you might see it contains chlorine, phenol, ammonia or formaldehyde. Do you want these potentially toxic chemicals in your home?
Green products are healthier, in the long term. Injuries caused because of harsh and toxic chemicals include:
- 40% involve eye irritation and burns
- 35% involve skin irritation and burns
- 12% involve breathing chemical fumes
The Consumer Product Safety Commission has linked 150 chemicals that are usually found in homes with ailments like allergies, birth defects, breast cancer, prostate cancer, declining sperm counts, and psychological abnormalities.
- Improved indoor air quality: Pollutants indoors can be as much as 2-5 times higher than outdoors levels. Many traditional cleaning products contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Reduced environmental impact: Green cleaning also reduces the amount and toxicity of products and chemicals requiring disposal.
- Conserving natural resources: Reduce the use of products derived from natural resources, such as paper. Use less paper to clean or switch to paper made from recycled-materials that are certified green it helps and you will be making a difference. Preferably use a soft cloth instead of paper to clean. When we make sure that lights are turned off and water is not wasted when cleaning we are also playing our part.